Monday, February 2, 2009

Scary story

Hubby rode Boo yesterday. After he was all finished I got on to cool him out. Not technically suppose to ride until Thursday, but I don't think cooling out counts. I did try a little walk/trot, but Boo wasn't listening to me and I wasn't comfortable enough to press the issue. I've put on some more weight during this lay off despite my best intentions. I can see now that getting back in the saddle the way I was before the surgery is going to take a little time and a lot of effort. We will have to start slowly. I know how to do that. I've been here before. Going out again tonight and I fully intend to do the cooling out. This time, however, I am going to be wearing my comfortable riding pants and boots. I will also be working on my flexibility today as that has really suffered. I should never have just coasted through the holidays like I did.

My 13-year-0ld grandson spent the day with us yesterday. He use to ride at our previous barn. Here we have no one for him to take lessons on. He's pretty heavily into basketball, so it hasn't been an issue this past few months. Yesterday he decided he wanted to go out and say hello to the horses. He stayed and watched the superbowl with hubby. Afterwards hubby took him home. My daughter was down the street at a superbowl party, so hubby just dropped him off and he went on into the house to wait for them. I got a phone call about 9:00 p.m. last night that while they were away from the house someone had broken into their home. They got home about 20 minutes after my grandson had been dropped off. He was sitting in the living room watching t.v. and playing with the dog who had been in the garage while they were gone. When my son-in-law went to their master bathroom he discovered that someone had crawled into the house through the bathroom window. There were muddy footprints everywhere. They took a laptop computer that had been open on the desk in their room and my grandsons laptop was also missing. It had been lying in a chair by the back door. Because there were two other laptops, cash, gaming systems, etc. in the house they think the thief was interrupted by my grandson coming home and hightailed it out the back door almost as soon as he had gotten inside.

I have to tell ya, I had a lot of trouble sleeping last night. Worrying about what might have happened if they hadn't hightailed it out the back door. Hubby now knows it's not a good idea to just drop the kids off to an empty house. Go in with them. Make sure everything is alright. Don't leave windows unlocked. The economy is in a scary time. We may start hearing more and more about this kind of thing.


  1. Hi there...fellow Oregonian! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    I wish you lots of luck in getting back to riding your horse again...that was a horrible ordeal to say the least. I'm sure you will succeed!!

    Happy Trails~~

  2. Hello. I got on again last night. Sometimes it seems as if most of my horse life has been spent trying to overcome some obstacle or another. Guess that's life in general isn't it. At any rate, it is all so worth it!