Tuesday, February 24, 2009

My mistreated geldings

Somebody (Boo) was having a bit of a temper tantrum this evening. I suspect he didn't appreciate me pulling him away from his dinner in order to run around on the end of a longe line for 20 minutes or so. I tried to get out there before he was brought in from the pasture, but didn't quite make it. It didn't help that the wind had come up and one of the short ends of the barn was creaking away like some scary horror movie soundtrack. He kept breaking into a canter and not listening when I asked him to come back down to the trot. Eventually we got there but not before he worked up quite a sweat from nerves, bad temper, whatever.

I did get there in time to bring Bay in from the round pen where he has been exiled while we treat this ringworm problem. He's getting better, but not quite there yet. It sure is taking a lot of time and attention. The vet said we could cut back to shampooing once a week, but he still wants him sprayed with medication twice a day. I noticed that he doesn't react much on one side of his neck when I spray it and massage the medication in, but on the side, under the mane, he appears to be tender even though I can't see any raw areas. I did think it had some heat in the neck on that side, so tomorrow I think I'll have to call the vet and just have him come take a look to make sure everything is going according to plan. Sure wish he'd just clear up without having to bring the vet back out. Shots and dental floats are coming up and all that is costly enough without another vet call. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

Don't think I'll make it out to the barn tomorrow, but Thursday is a for sure. Won't be able to ride this weekend. My 6-year-old twin grandsons are going to do leadline in a playday over in Central Oregon and I'm gonna go watch. Hopefully, I'll get some cool pictures to post.

No comments:

Post a Comment