Friday, February 26, 2010

What's wrong with Miley?


I've been sick with a nasty cold virus for going on 3 weeks now. I am finally starting to get better, but I can't say I'm completely over it until this nagging cough goes away. I haven't been out to ride but once in all that time. That was Sunday. Monday and Tuesday I spent with my grandson who ended up with the same virus. Probably got it from me.


Tomorrow I am scheduled to ride in a clinic, so I will be going out to the barn later today to get in a short ride and some cleanup. My new bit that the clinician suggested last month finally came in on Saturday and I haven't tried it out yet. Now I'm thinking I might just save it for tomorrow and let her see how we do with it. There are new mirrors up in the arena since we last rode, and I'm not sure I'm up for new bit and new mirrors on the same day! There is a reason I call him Boo afterall.


To top it all off my darling little corgi has had some kind of reaction to what I don't know, and she now has a very nasty sore on her muzzle. Yesterday the vet did a biopsy because the treatment she has prescribed so far doesn't seem to be working. I am worried sick because she has said if it's not bacterial or fungal she would then be worried about autoimmune disease or neoplasm. I know if we go there the treatment she will prescribe will be steroids and those scare me too. I'm grasping at straws and wondering about food allergy etc. but the vet doesn't seem to be thinking along those lines. In the meantime I'm keeping her with me nearly all the time to try and keep her from rubbing the muzzle even more raw. Can't keep her from licking it. Arrgghh! February has not been my favorite month!

5 comments:

  1. Geez, I am sorry to hear about your corgi baby! One of my dogs had sores around her mouth and eyes. The vet took biopsies but we couldn't quite figure it out. We changed the water bowl from ceramic to metal, all the dog bowls from plastic to metal. We started feeding her (all of them) steamed vegetables mixed with kibble. Within a few weeks, her skin started to clear up and she has been fine ever since. We suspect that it was a combination of items that caused the reaction and we just lucked changing all of them. I hope your little girl feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bug has been hanging on waaay too long. Hope you're on the mend now.

    So far the ponies have been doing okay with the mirrors. Of course, I didn't ride Phantom today, just longed him past the mirrors. But both Phantom and Zorro were infatuated with the "other" horse they saw.

    So sorry about Miley. I hope the vet figures it out soon and that it's an easy fix. So difficult to watch our animals suffer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor Miley! It sounds like a severe allergy. I hope you find the right solution soon.

    And feel better! Riding season is right around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've been sick! I hope you are on the mend soon!
    I hope Miley's nose is okay. I just love Corgis! I dogsit one from time to time. They are such characters. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our English Setter had a reaction on her muzzle a few years ago. It looked like hamburger - really gross. Could have been from a bee sting, but we are not sure. The vet put her on steroid and it cleared up in a week or so. The hair even grew back which surprised me!

    ReplyDelete