Monday, February 1, 2010

Want to make God laugh?


Want to make God laugh? Tell him your plans! I've heard that before and boy is it ever true. My last 2 posts have been about planning my rides and what I intended to work on. I decided last night that I would longe Boo in side reins today. I've found he's better about giving to the bit when I do that regularly. He respects me more in the saddle when I work him from the ground, and I think it's good for his topline. We do walk, trot, and canter. We work on transitions between the gaits. We make the circle smaller and then larger so he gets his hind leg crossing under him in both directions. He works up a sweat. It only takes about 20 minutes.


As soon as I walked into the barn I knew my plans were in jeopardy. Bay was standing in the cross-ties and there were about 6 people gathered around him. The first thing they said was "we just called your husband!" No one knows how he did it but Bay had knocked one of his teeth sideways. It was sticking out of the side of his mouth like a teensy tiny elephant tusk. He let me look inside his mouth and the tooth was very loose and there was congealed blood around it.


As soon as I saw it I knew it was something the vet would have to see. It was so loose that one would be tempted to just pull it out, but then again I didn't know if it had long roots. It might be a lot harder than it looked. Who knew if it had broken off and the part I was seeing was only the top part?


So I called my hubby and he just happened to be on the phone with the vet. Hubby really had no idea what this looked like. He was under the impression it was just loose. I set him straight with my description and within about an hour the vet arrived. He pulled the sideways tooth and the one in front of it too. By this time Boo had chowed down on his dinner and I decided it wasn't a great idea to longe him on a full belly. Not to mention that I had been out there in the cold long enough to get that bone cold you get. The kind where you really need a hot shower to warm up.


I'll be going to the barn every day this week. Some of the days I will be going twice. I have to flush his mouth out with warm salt water and an antibiotic 2 times a day. No riding (of course) for at least 5 days. Luckily the mouth usually heals fairly quickly what with the wonderful blood supply it has. I'm thinking he'll be much better by this time next week.


So I guess I'll use all that barn time to take care of Bay and to ride and longe Boo. At least I plan too...hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!



3 comments:

  1. Wow what a bummer for everyone!!! Sorry you did not get to ride today...for sure soon, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad you didnt get pictures of that! That would have been interesting to see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad it wasn't worse than it was and that Bay is on the mend. I have my own dental woes related to the barn, so I can commiserate with Bay.

    Hey, that's a couple of handsome dudes in the photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete