Sunday, January 25, 2009

Counting the days...

I have taken to pacing the barn aisle lately while grinding my teeth and clenching my fists. The closer I get to being able to ride myself (just under 2 weeks to go) the harder it is for me to watch hubby ride Boo. Especially when said horse is taking extreme advantage of the fact that my husband is not well versed in the two-handed, snaffle bit, dressage saddle type of riding. I am chomping at the bit to get back on and give Boo the comeuppance I feel he deserves.

I see it all. The on the forehand, the high head, the falling in on the circles. It drives me absolutely insane to watch it! On hubby’s last ride Thursday night we had to go back to basics and spend time just putting Boo in front of the leg. Now hubby rides western…so he’s got the big ole spurs…but I like to have Boo listen without spurs. He eventually did, but he’s gotta know if he keeps this up I might give in and let hubby use those big ole spurs. I definitely need to relax a bit, chill out, do some reading on how to go about fixing the problems I know I’m going to encounter once I’m back in the saddle.

I bought Jane Savoie’s “A Happy Horse” course a while back and I really do like it. I’ve also joined her Dressage Mentor website. I’ve audited a couple of her clinics before and really like the way she presents things. I figure with Jane I can figure out how to get back on track and once we are, I can do a clinic here and there and possible take a lesson once a month just to have eyes on the ground. I wish I could do a weekly lesson, but that is just not in the cards right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment