Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Pineapple Express strikes again











We bought this house brand new 15 years ago. My husband fell in love with the space, and I fell in love with the light. I thrive on light...you might even say I need all this light. I have floor to ceiling windows on 3 walls in the family room...oh heck, every room has great windows. The house also has 5 skylights. One in the entry, one in the family room, one in my art room, and one in both bathrooms upstairs. Last winter the skylight in the family room sprung a leak. I noticed it when the wet stain ran out of the skylight box onto the ceiling. I had someone come out and they recommended replacing the skylight, which we did. I had never had a skylight replaced before, so I was not aware that once they pulled it out and replaced it with a new one there would be trim work to be done. The company that replaced the skylight didn't bother to tell me this either. It wasn't so noticeable standing under it and looking up, but from the landing at the top of the stairs it was obvious that trim work needed to be done. For the past year I have looked at that unfinished trim work and water stain on my family room ceiling, and it has always upset me that the job was never finished.





The pineapple express has brought me full circle. I have two more leaking skylights and two more water stains on my ceiling. I noticed them almost immediately. I spent Friday doing research because I was not about to call the company that had replaced the first skylight. On Friday afternoon I had 3 people come out and give me their opinions on what needed to be done. The consensus was replace the skylights. After talking it over with the DH and having the integrity of the remaining two skylights checked, we decided to replace all the old skylights with new energy efficient ones. I'd much rather be putting in new flooring, counter tops, or having my cabinets refaced, but I'm not. I'm doing the expedient thing and saving the structural integrity of my humble abode. Drats!!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been there before. Our last house had floor to ceiling windows in all the rooms facing the view--and skylights all around the house. The kitchen was half skylights. I LOVED the light, but we had the same problem and had to replace them and fix the damage. The house we have now has quite a bit of light, but no skylights and, quite honestly, I miss them. I think natural light is more important than new cabinets, etc. Well worth the investment! Hope you enjoy your new windows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is always something needing done! Our windows have all been replaced this last month. All the old single pane glass has gone to be replaced by double glazing units! Because we are in a "conservation area" we have had to wait over a year for the planners to agree on the window type!!!! Whats so hard for them to do? Any way we are warm now and snug, so i do feel for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about those repairs, right before Christmas! Drat! You did, however, win the book giveaway on my blog. Yay! Drop me an email with your shipping address and whether you'd like DOG GONE or BUCK FEVER. Congratulations, and hope your repairs go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OUCH! That's one huge repair bill. I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's when it's not one thing..it's the other! Water damage is the worst and there is no putting it off where you live...;)

    ReplyDelete